The process of removing applications on Apple computers occurs differently than on devices running on the Windows OS. This is primarily due to the other macOS file system and the principle of installing software in general.
Uninstalling on Macs is usually claimed as a process that does not require much effort. To get rid of an unnecessary program, just drag its icon to the Trash – and you're done. Actually, not. In certain cases, this step is not enough. Firstly, apps deleted in this way leave unnecessary files behind them. These items gather like a snowball on your HD, taking up precious space and thereby slowing down your Mac. Secondly, some apps (such as Safari or iTunes, for example) installed on Mac by default cannot be removed in this way.
Today, we are going to deal with 3 time-proven methods how to remove applications and how to clear temp files on Mac, related to the uninstalled apps:
All these methods have their strong and weak points.
Method 1: Drag to Trash
Probably nothing is easier than just dragging the unnecessary icon into the Trash, isn't it?
- Go to the Applications folder and there search for the app you want to liquidate. Some apps can be found directly on the desktop.
- Move the app or the program's folder to the Trash. Doing so, you will hear a specific sound signal. To quicken this process, use Cmd+Del.
- Now in the Library section, you need to clear all the folders with the app's name in their title.
- Next, go to the folders Library->Preferences and Library->Application Support and repeat the previous step.
- Being sure you will never need the removed apps, empty the Trash. By clicking Cmd+Shift+Del, you will do this much faster.
- Complete removal of Mac apps using this method involves a lot of actions and takes too much time;
- Some files may remain due to the human factor – you just can't be 100% sure that you have found ALL app-related remnant data.
Method 2: Use uninstallers
If you downloaded the third-party apps (not from the official Apple Store), the folder into which the product was installed, usually contains a special uninstaller that will completely erase the app.
- Open the folder with applications.
- Choose the app you plan to clear.
- Files related to this application appear in the right column. Run the one containing the word Uninstall in the name.
- Confirm the deletion.
- Many apps just don’t have built-in uninstallers;
- Some of them leave traces anyway.
Method 3: Specialized software to help you
Many apps distribute system files across the HD. To find all these items and delete them – not so easy. But there is a broad range of specialized tools meant to uninstall applications in macOS. Their main advantage is that these utilities find and remove all junk and temporary files from Mac's system. The use of such apps is effective, but usually, they are not free.
AppZapper. Today it is one of the most preferred app removal solutions. The recipe for success is its functionality and convenience, simple interface, fun sound effects. Want to remove an app? Drag its icon to AppZapper. After analyzing it, the utility shows all the files related to the app and the way to them. After clicking Delete, the selected application will be entirely transferred to the Trash.
- simplicity and ease of use;
- availability of all major functions for removing apps;
- the only app that finds .dmg files in the Downloads and can remove them;
- show full information about the files to be erased.
- package deleting is available only for apps.
AppCleaner. This is a tiny app allowing you to completely clear files on your device. Running the app, you will see an area to drag the icon you need to erase. After selecting the required app, just click on the search button, and the utility will find all the system files associated with it.
- decent functionality;
- user-friendly interface;
- function SmartDelete: once you move any app to the Trash, it prompts you to clear all the related files.
- doesn’t remove .dmg;
- doesn’t display the size of the files to be deleted.
CleanApp. Probably, the most functional app for removing applications to date. Provides the group deletion of all file types. Also, for chosen applications, you can quickly remove unused language packs and PPC code. After you delete the app, CleanApp will find and show all the files that the application once created.
- the best functionality for today;
- application monitoring;
- removes language packs and PPC code.
- slightly overloaded interface;
- does not remove .dmg.
As we see, there are several efficient ways to remove unnecessary apps from your Apple computer. Some of them are more effective, some – less. Some take a while; others perform the job in a couple of minutes. Either way, the choice is yours.